So this is going to be a very stream of consciousness post, admittedly. I have been thinking about the Royal Wedding that everyone is making such a huge to-do about. As we are inundated with coverage of an event that has little relevance to our world I have begun to think about how important it seems to be for people to compare this wedding to Princess Diana’s wedding. For some odd reason I find myself getting oddly defensive of Diana. I don’t know why but I dislike people comparing her to Kate because 1) Kate is not nearly as attractive, 2) Diana was a truly spectacular woman, and 3) I have a huge crush on Diana.
I think the reason I find Diana so appealing is that she is timeless, she has a look and a style about her that transcends a certain time or place. This is a quality that I find rather attractive, not just in women but generally in life. Things that are timeless in life are not subject to change or folly or any of the whims of humanity. So in my realization I began exploring the women I find to be timeless and who have captivated me with their beauty and charm…
1) Diana: She is the princess of Wales, and one of the most beautiful women around. However what made her so special was her heart for people on the fringe of society. In many ways she would be Christ to people that no one else was paying any attention too. The image of her walking through mine fields in Eastern Europe campaigning for a removal of these deadly hidden weapons so children would not be killed was an incredibly moving display. She had a very sad life after her marriage and was unfortunately subject to the paparazzi around the clock. Her magnetism as a human being was fully realized when she passed away and all of Britain mourned their princess, it is not quite the fairy tale anyone had imagined but Diana also rewrote what it meant to be a princess, opting not to stay in her ivory tower but to go out and make changes in the world.
2) Grace Kelly: I was introduced to Grace as a young child by my Grandpa who would show me old Hitchcock movies and tell me that she was his girlfriend. I was very impressed. Kelly moves with a sense of…well, Grace that is unparalleled. She is quiet yet elegant and an amazing actress to boot. She handles comic and dramatic flare with a deft touch that stands up through the ages. From her first performance in “High Noon” to her final Hitchcock film “To Catch a Thief” Kelly stands up as a screen icon. She would herself become a Princess, of Monaco just east of France. Her life would also end too early in an automobile accident, but her elegance will always hold up.
3) Juliette Binoche: The finest working actress in the industry today, Binoche is talented beyond words. She has played such a variety of roles throughout her long storied career, but unfortunately is known to American audiences for “Dan in Real Life”. However her roles in “Blue”, “The English Patient”, and “Cache” are unforgettable. She is very pretty, but its her personal sense of will and confidence that shines through the most. She also has an undeniable sense of class and her involvement with charitable organizations in the 3rd world. This Frenchwoman has never been married but has adopted children from Cambodia and is working in the Middle East to allow more creative license for filmmakers in Muslim countries.
4) Ingmar Bergman: Casablanca. She redefined timeless.
5) Esther: I will take one from the Bible here, because the story of Esther is very inspirational. She is the most beautiful girl in the whole kingdom and the Persian king chooses her not knowing that she in fact is Jewish. When Esther learns of a plot to murder the Jews in Persia she courageously confronts the King risking her own life and tells of the plot and her own heritage. A bold move showing the power of Women as illustrated throughout the bible, and a great verse in Esther 4:14 “For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place and you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?”
6) Megan Wantz: I would be remiss not to mention my lovely girlfriend. She has all of the qualities of the aforementioned women, but is even better because I get to be a part of her life. I am very lucky, and very blessed. Seriously though check out that smile…